Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bread Making!

These ingredients...
made this loaf of bread...

For my 21st birthday, I asked my sisters for a bread machine. I baked a few loaves of bread without reading the instructions. It didn't go well. I got over my idea of being a bread making kind of girld. Karli and I had a long conversation about baking bread while on a train in Italy. It motivated me to get my machine back out. I decided to read the directions this time. Apparently, you are supposed to put the wet ingredients in first...then dry ingredients and last but not least the yeast. I don't know if I will ever buy a loaf of bread again because it is SO easy. Obviously, it has a ton of health benefits, too. It literally takes 10 minutes to pile the ingredients in the machine, and 4 hours later (if you cook a 2 pound loaf like above), you will have a fresh loaf. Here is the recipe for the loaf that I am obsessed with right now!

Flax and Cracked Wheat Bread
  1. Water (warm) - 1 1/2 cups
  2. Olive Oil - 3 tbl
  3. Honey - 3 tbl
  4. Salt - 2 tsb
  5. Flax seed meal - 1/4 cup
  6. Flax seed - 2 tbl
  7. Cracked wheat - 1/4 cup
  8. Bread Flour - 3 1/2 cups
  9. Active Dry yeast - 1 tbl
(if you use quick rise yeast or bread machine yeast, use 2 tsp)
- If you have a bread machine, put it on European cycle for about 3 hours and 55 minutes.


No comments: